Yesterday, a colleague of mine, Geórgia, showed me a site she´s been following "Think in English" . It´s written by Aurora Jove, a teacher in Spain, and brings really interesting sites we can explore and use with our students.
The first site I´m going to talk about is STYLETOOL.COM
The site allows you to dress up an avatar you create with various options of t-shirts, dresses, shoes, bags, and sunglasses. It´s an interesting way of teaching CLOTHES VOCABULARY as each item of clothing is identified with a word and image. After dressing up your avatar you can post it in facebook, grab the embed code for publishing,
HOW CAN WE USE THIS SITE WITH STUDENTS?
- Use the site to build an avatar in class with students and exploit the images of clothes to teach / revise the vocabulary.
- Ask students to create an avatar, dress it up , write a description for it and then share the avatar + description in a class blog.
- The teacher can create several avatar dressed differently, take screenshots and then use the images to present CLOTHES VOCABULARY.
- Write descriptions of the way avatars are dressed and ask students to build the avatar according to the description.
- Have students create their avatars and present them to the whole class by describing both appearance (dark/ fair skin , hair, eyes) and clothes.