- the activities are short.
- the videos are all found in Youtube.
- there's no need to prepare any extra material.
1. Predicting what's going to happen.
- turn volume off.
- play parts of the video, stop and brainstorm with the whole class what they think is going to happen. Ex: I think he will .......
- Play and check their prediction.
Suggested video: http://youtu.be/L6Cuq-BueEs
2. Taking notes / reconstructing scene
- Students watch the video and take notes of what happens in the scene.
- Pairs compare their notes and write a description of the whole scene.
- Students then read each other descriptions.
- Teacher can build a description of the scene with the whole class using http://livetyping.com
Suggested video: http://youtu.be/bS1ePEZZCDY
3. Describe what you see
- turn volume off
- get students into pairs.
- they stand up, one facing the screen and the other with the back to the screen.
- the one facing the screen describes what's happening in the scene.
- teacher pauses the video and students swap places.
- do the same for the rest of the video (or for as long as the teacher decides)
- Students write down a summary of the whole scene.
- If students want to, show the whole video with sound to the class.
Suggested video: http://youtu.be/1Efrg23Sqe8
4. Imagining thoughts
- Divide students in pairs.
- You can turn off the sound or not.
- While students watch the video, they try to write down what the girl and the man might be thinking.
- Teacher pauses video when necessary.
Suggested video: http://youtu.be/8yIuiXxwUtw
5. Predicting + Retelling
- Show the wordcloud below and ask students to predict the story of the video. (PAIRS)
- Students watch the video .
- Pairs try to reconstruct or retell the story using the wordcloud (Speaking or Writing activity).
Suggested video: http://youtu.be/rHKV92sNFVM
6. Imagine an ending
- Students watch the video up to 1.59 mins.
- Pairs tell each other what they remember.
- Pairs imagine an ending to the story and write it down.
- Students read their ending to the class.
- Show the rest of the video to the class.
Suggested video: http://youtu.be/GJbiw_bOFmY
7. Vocabulary List
- ask students to write the heading for two lists in their notebooks (CITY LIFE / NATURE)
- Students watch the video and have to complete the lists by writing down vocabulary related to each topic as it appears in the video.
- Debriefing: ask students what words they've written down.
- In pairs students discuss what they understood about the video.
Suggested video: http://youtu.be/qdxbIRkITBk
For more suggested animations, check out this playlist I've put together: